Health and Safety Executive
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is scrutinising manufacturing enterprises that utilise metalworking fluids or coolants in their machining procedures.
Inspectors are concentrating on how employers safeguard workers from exposure to fluids or mists generated by CNC machines, ensuring that routine health checks are consistently implemented.
There are two key areas where EFS can help you to stay compliant:
- Local exhaust ventilation (LEV)
- Fluid Quality Checks
Safeguarding the health and safety of workers is not merely a moral imperative but also a regulatory mandate, highlighted by the UK’s Health and Safety Executive (HSE). With a keen focus on businesses utilising metalworking fluids (MWF) or coolants in their CNC machining processes, maintaining regulatory compliance whilst safeguarding worker health is paramount. Let’s explore further how European Filter Solutions can help you to stay on the right side of the law:
1. Local Exhaust Ventilation (LEV)
The HSE underscores the necessity of installing LEV systems to mitigate risks posed by inhaling mist produced during machining. European Filter Solutions extends its expertise by not only assisting businesses in the installation of efficient LEV systems but also offering comprehensive guides on selecting the appropriate suppliers and ensuring that the installed systems are effective in shielding operators from hazardous exposures.
How We Can Assist:
- Assisting in selecting, supplying and installing the suitable LEV system.
- Regular maintenance and checks to ensure the LEV system’s functionality and compliance.
2. Maintaining the Integrity of Regular Fluid Quality Checks
Contaminated metalworking cutting fluid may harbour bacterial growth, affecting machine performance and component quality whilst posing health risks. The HSE recommends regular checks and correction of concentration, pH, and bacterial levels to maintain safe and effective fluids.
How We Can Assist:
- Conducting thorough and regular fluid quality checks, ensuring optimal concentration, pH, and minimal bacterial contamination.
- Offering specialised kits and expertise for daily visual and odour checks, as well as weekly concentration, pH, and dipslide assessments.
- Detailed record-keeping to validate compliance with regulatory requirements and demonstrate effective fluid management.